Sunday, December 31, 2006

Potatoes you won't be able to stop eating!

















This is one of those dishes that my DH and I dipped our forks into - just for a taste to see how it is - and before we knew it - we had eaten 1/2 the dish. Yikes! Trust me - you won't be able to stop at just 1 bite once you start!


We used 2-3 oz speck, mushrooms, olive oil, garlic clove, italian dry seasoning, 1 lb potatoes, 8 oz (2 balls) mozzarella cheese (sliced), 3 oz Gruyere cheese, 1 pint whipping cream.


Saute karreespeck (this is a smoked and then air dryed - very similar to pancetta if you can't get speck) in olive oil. Remove from pan. Next add a little bit of that red wine you are drinking to the pan to deglaze it a bit and then saute sliced mushrooms (about 4.5-5 oz) in the oil/wine mixture. Add 1/2 chopped garlic clove and about 1 tsp. of Italian dried herb mixture - stir and then stir the speck - then set aside this pan for cooling.

Now - butter a medium casserole dish. Cover the bottom with a layer of thinly sliced potatoes (our other kitchen has a great mandoline, but alas, we suffer the multiple kitchen syndrome, so DH had to cut all those potatoes!). Layer mushrooms, mozzarella and a bit of Gruyere cheese, start again with potatoes and keep layering until everything is gone - ending with the potatoes. Pour whipping cream over the top and put a bit more cheese on top for good measure.

Cover with foil. Bake for 2 hours at 325.

Love it, love it, love it. Now - trying to decide what to serve it with? Double dipped Southern fried chicken? Prime rib? Gosh - if no one is looking - just eat it straight out of the pan! Variations... we are going to try a vegetarian version with chick peas instead of the meat - might add roasted red peppers for flavor to make up for omitting the speck - served with roasted eggplant...










1 comment:

Nancy said...

This looks really yummy. I was going to ask what Speck was and then I see you told in the recipe directions. I'll have to see if I can find it locally. If not I'll get some pancetta. Which I've never bought but I'm willing to try anything once. I'm trying to find ways to make our menu more intersting so I look forward to more of your experiments in the kitchen.