Monday, February 18, 2008

Cheap Sandwich Filling





My husband brought home this "steak" last week. It's the one on the right - 3 pieces for $4.72. I didn't know that he planned on making Hungarian Goulash with it, so read the directions stuck on the label and proceeded to simmer it (just 1 piece), as directed (in the oven). It was even called a "simmering" steak. It was awful. Yuck. Blah. I told DH to save it because I would do "something" with it. He almost threw it out!!!




The next day he asked me exactly what my plan was. Because this meat just wasn't tasty. Not one bit. But, I had a plan. You see - my Mom used to make sandwich spread when I was little with left-over cooked meat. She would put it in the blender to grind (pre food processor) and then add relish, mayo, maybe some chopped celery - whatever she had on hand. Presto - cheap sandwich filling. A fraction of the cost of cold cuts!



So, this meat went through the meat grinder with 3 cloves of garlic. Maybe it got a shake or two of some seasoning. It was mixed with mayonaisse and a bit of bistro sauce. We had very yummy toasted sandwiches with sliced hard boiled egg and pickles for a few days. Yum!

No comments: