Monday, October 13, 2008

Apple-banana loaf



This is my all-time favorite snack bread! I like it with butter or cream cheese or cream cheese mixed with honey. My son loves to bring this to school with him as a "sweet". It takes about as long to make this from scratch as a box of brownies - really! And it is healthier too (well, except maybe that butter bit). I mix it all up in a big mixing bowl with a wooden spoon - so easy that it isn't even worth getting the mixer out for!

You can make it without the apples by using 2 bananas instead - and it is good. But trust me, it is REALLY good if you use the apples. I am just saying - don't let the lack of apples stop you from making this bread, that's all.

1 3/4 cup flour
2/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 small cooking apples (I like macintosh) or 1 big - peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 ripe banana

Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

In a smaller mixing bowl mash the banana (I use my pastry cutter - a tool I don't use for making pie crusts since I make those in the food processor - but it IS a handy gadget for mashing bananas!). Shoot - you could probably just slice the banana into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, or mash it up in that bowl - this is just the way I like to do it!

In another small mixing bowl beat the 2 small eggs.

Now combine everything together into your big bowl and stir it up with a wooden spoon.

Put into a greased bread pan and bake at 350 for 40 - 45 minutes.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then flip it out of the pan.

Did I mention that this bread is especially yummy warm?

Oh - and about cutting it - the BEST way to cut this bread is if you have a serrated bread knife.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi Evelyn -
I made this bread the other day and it is delicious. My company got a few slices also and really raved about the bread.
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I hope you will share more.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first

comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this

blog very often.

Kate
http://educationonline-101.com

Gio Ve said...

Hello there and a Happy New Year to You and to Your Visitors! I arrived here just surfing. I hope Your Today will be all the time better than Yesterday and worse than Tomorrow!

An Estonian living in Italy