Monday, October 13, 2008

My favorite summer fruit pie filling


Guess what, I don't have a set recipe. Basically, I use 5 cups of soft fruit per pie. 5 cups will give you a nice thick slice of pie! My favorite is 2 cups blueberries, 2 cups raspberries, 1 cup peaches. Or may I don't have raspberries so I will use more peaches. Sometimes I have blackberries and will use those. Using 1/2 blueberries and 1/2 peaches is very good too! You can used canned peaches if you don't have fresh - I've even used a canned of drained mandarin oranges before with good results. I freeze my berries in the summer - and they are usually all gone by Halloween - so I have no idea exactly how long berries actually keep in the freezer, but in my household - not long!
*

5 cups soft fruit
1/4 cup flour - plus 2 teaspoons
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup nutmeg
*
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice

*
Use your favorite pie crust recipe. Don't have one? The post right before this one has my favorite!
*
In a large mixing bowl mix the dry ingredients. Mix in your fruits. Put this into your pie crust. Cut the butter into little pieces and evenly sprinkle over the top of the fruits. Put the lemon juice on top - I sort-ov splash mine so it is a bit evenly distributed.
*
Top with top pie crust. Put the pie in the fridge for 15 minutes. Cut your slits on the top of the pie crust, crimp the edges with a fork. If you are using decorative cut-outs for your crust it is easier to use these before you put the crust on - usually I just cut slits with a knife. Put your hands under running water and gently smooth wet hands over the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar - my son likes cinnamon/sugar and I always have that mixed up for toast - so I usually use that instead of plain sugar.
*
Put the pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Adjust temperature to 425 and bake for another 20 minutes or so - this higher heat will brown the crust so keep an eye on your crust - depending on your oven you might need plus/minus 5 minutes.
*
I always bake my pies at the lower temperature 1st and then the higher temperature to brown. This way I don't have to be putting foil around my pie crust edges and worrying about it the whole time. I mentioned on my pie crust recipe that I think the reason why people always start with the higher temperature 1st and then adjust to lower is because a long time ago people made pie in the woodstoves - and the fire was hotter at the beginning. There really is no reason why you can't reverse the order so you pie crusts don't get overly browned!
*
Anyway - I hope you enjoy making fresh fruit pies. Pies are easy to make as long as you allow yourself enough time.



No comments: