Monday, July 17, 2006

My poor green beans!

















Green beans looked soooo good at the grocery store today that I picked some up. And, later today, while leafing through Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious issue, I came across a recipe for the green beans, summer squash and cherry tomatoes - well, I used zuchinni instead. Anyway, I am sure the directions are just fine if you are cooking 1 lb of beans, as indicated... but I was just cooking for myself tonight so used a handful and then still went right ahead and steamed the poor things in the microwave for 5 minutes, plus 2 more minutes, plus 30 seconds (5 for the beans, 2 once I added the squash and a final 30 seconds for the tomatoes). And, my poor beans sort-ov shriveled up on me. Oh well, the squash was still good. And, I will try the recipe again, but will remember to adjust the cooking time for a smaller portion (and skip nuking the tomatoes! When I cook for myself I use 1/3 of the squash - it is a good portion for me.

I also grilled a piece of chicken breast on my mini George Foreman grill using honey/garlic bar-b-que sauce. After pre-heating the grill for 5 minutes, it only takes 8 minutes to grill. I eat 1/2 of the chicken, but like having cooked chicken for left-overs for something fast tomorrow. I will have to remember to blog about this little grill later this week.

And, I used a pre-packaged mix for the sour cream/chive noodles.

All in all, not a bad dinner - and on the table within 1/2 an hour from starting!

My fish plate - got to remember to photo FISH on that thing! It is my favorite set of summer dishes (they are plastic) and I use them all the time (unless DH is eating with me because he prefers a "real" plate!).

1 comment:

Linda C said...

I bet a seafood pasta salad would look pretty on those plates too. Summer squash is a big favorite here in the south, more so than zucchini but the veg medley sounds good.